The Oakwood High School Distinguished Alumni Award is designed to recognize and honor an alumnus/alumna who has distinguished himself/herself by significant accomplishments since attending Oakwood High School.
Recognition as a distinguished alumni shall be limited to those individuals, living or deceased, who have attended or graduated from Oakwood High School no less than fifteen (15) years previous to the nomination and have made significant accomplishments in one or both of the following areas while maintaining high standards in personal integrity and character:
- An outstanding leader in his/her field
- Service to his/her community through local, state, national, or international organizations
The Distinguished Alumni nominating committee shall consist of five (5) current members of the Oakwood Alumni Board and the current Oakwood Schools Superintendent. These members will be asked to serve for a period of three (3) years by the Director of the Alumni Association. The nominating committee’s duties will be to select a Committee Chair yearly and review all nominations received.
This nominating committee shall present to the Alumni Board each year a list of no more than twelve (12) nominees.
- Nominations can be made by anyone and will be solicited through school, alumni association publications, as well as local media.
- Nominees from the previous three (3) years will be automatically considered by the nominating committee as well as current nominations.
- In order to be considered by the nominating committee, a nomination form must be completed and include the following:
- Description of career and professional achievements.
- List of volunteer and philanthropic activities.
- Recognition and awards received from local, state, national, and international organizations since graduating from Oakwood High School
- At least one additional letter from an individual other than the nominator supporting the nominee is required.
- Distinguished Alumni Award recipients shall be selected by a vote of the Oakwood Alumni Board and the current Oakwood Schools Superintendent.
- Nominee packets will be distributed at least one (1) week prior to the scheduled Alumni Board meeting.
- To be eligible to vote, an Alumni Board member must be present at the election meeting. No proxy ballot shall be accepted.
- Prior to any voting, at least five (5) minutes per nominee shall be allowed for discussion of the nominee.
- The Nomination Committee Chair will call a vote.
- Each Alumni Board member shall rank the nominees in order of preference by secret ballot.
- The Director of the Alumni Association and the current Oakwood Schools Superintendent will count the tally of the voting results with all members present.
- During review of the voting results, the Alumni Board will determine the number of recipients for that current year.
- In the event of any tie, the Director of the Alumni Association shall call for a re-vote by secret ballot of the names in question. If unable to break this tie, the Director of the Alumni Association will make the final determination.
- A quorum shall be considered as those members present and voting. No elections shall take place absent a quorum of ten (10) Alumni Board members.
- After the selected nominees have been presented to the Board of Education by the Alumni Director, the Oakwood Schools Superintendent will make the proper recommendations to the Board of Education regarding the recipients of the Distinguished Alumni Award.
- The recipient/recipients will be honored each year at a time and place to be determined.
- The recipient/recipients and their immediate family/families will be the guest/guests of Oakwood High School at the induction ceremony.
- A photograph, senior year and current, of the recipient/recipients will be placed in a designated book within the school to commemorate the honor, and the recipient/recipients name will be added to the Distinguished Alumni plaque.
- The design of the Distinguished Alumni plaque and its location will be determined by the Alumni Board and the Oakwood Board of Education.
The Oakwood High School Distinguished Alumni Award plaque(s) will be financially underwritten by the Oakwood High School Alumni Association.
Any modifications, additions, or deletions to the rules, regulations and procedures of this award must be approved by a majority of the voting members of the Oakwood High School Alumni Board.