South Connection Enrichment program
Provides supervised activities for K-6 students throughout the school year and during the summer.
Contact us at South Connection:
219 W. Dorothy Lane
Dayton, Ohio 45429
Contact hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tax ID# 31-6000910
Welcome to Summer 2021
Summer Hours 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
June 21 - June 25
Bird's Eye View
- Please be aware activities may be listed multiple times in a week. During these events we are taking part of the students each day and children will have the opportunity to attend the activity on one of the scheduled days. On the days of bus trips everyone will be going. On some van trips, children may have the opportunity to choose not to go.
- Please confirm your child is on the correct South Connection transportation list to the second session of tennis that starts June 21, no later than the first day of lessons.
- Children will no longer be required to wear a face covering OUTSIDE unless they are doing an activity very close together.
- All OCC tennis lessons will be held at Orchardly Park this summer since the new courts are being repaired.
- Please make sure to allow at least 30 minutes before and after any other South Connection transported activities. Remember we will be providing only round trip transportation. All swimmers, tennis players, and readers will return to South Connection before departing for other OCC activities. Swimmers, tennis players, and readers will not be riding the same vans.
- Parents need to apply sunscreen before dropping children off each morning.
- Field trip transportation and attendance is not guaranteed if you do not tell us by 9:00 AM that your child will be late.
- Scheduling requests must be kept at a minimum and communicated to us in advance. Making last minute changes jeopardizes the safety of the group and causes us to be late for trips.
- All children must bring everyday:
- Face covering
- Filled water bottle
- Tennis shoes
- Swim suit
- Flip flops/water shoes (so we don't have to worry about lost socks at the pool)
- Tee shirt/rash guard (recommended anytime swim suit is on)
- Pizza and drinks will be provided on Thursdays. Children will have the choice of pepperoni or cheese pizza. Your child will not need to pack a lunch this day unless they do not want pizza.
- Children are not allowed to bring money to the pool.
- Please read the emailed newsletters and send your child prepared to participate in the planned activities. Note field trip times. There will be times when all staff is out.
- Children participating in field trips must ride the bus or van to and from the trip. Parents will still be allowed to pick up children from the pool, if they notify a staff member they are leaving for the day.
- Mondays and Wednesdays will be the main pool days, when we take students to swim at the OCC from 11:45-2:00 and 2:00-4:15. There will sometimes be other opportunities to go to the pool as well. This opportunity would only be available to those that have Oakwood pool passes. Remember swim suits are needed every day for water play at South Connection.
- Many children enjoy playing in little creeks in nearby parks. If your child wants to participate, an older pair of tennis shoes or water shoes should be kept here since there will be several impromptu opportunities to have fun and cool off.
Christy Smith, Program Manager
Katie Jolliff-Smith, Team Leader
Oakwood closed............South Connection closed
Days of Operation
Open Monday through Friday except:
- Sept. 7, 2020
- Nov. 26 and 27, 2020
- Dec. 24, 25, and 31, 2020
- Jan. 1 and 18, 2021 (We will not be open on MLK day.)
- May 31, 2021
We will be open for the following:
- Staff PD days: Sign up required
- School scheduled holidays: You must sign-up and follow the posted procedure.
Oakwood forms must be completed by both parent and physician and returned before over-the-counter or prescription drugs are given to students. These forms may be obtained online or from S.C. All meds must be kept in the S.C. office.
Photos and Videos
The children enjoy seeing their photos displayed at S.C. and occasionally making videos of our activities. If you prefer your child not be included, please notify Christy.
Use of Electronic Device
Personal Electronic Devices may not be used at South Connection EXCEPT Chromebooks or tablets for homework using approved sites.
South Connection believes:
- That each child is unique
- That elementary school-age children should have a healthy and safe after-school experience
- That a structured, enriched environment enhances a child’s emotional and developmental growth
- That parent-school-community cooperation is essential for healthy child development
- That children need opportunities to explore and learn in a variety of settings
- That a child’s sense of security is enhanced by adult attention and supervision
- That a child’s self-esteem develops through positive experiences with adults and other children
- That each child needs age appropriate opportunities to develop problem solving and decision-making skills
- That children learn in varied ways from many life experiences and that exposure to a wide age range of people, multi-generational, is actually beneficial
Goals and Objectives
1. To provide a safe, nurturing environment for elementary-age children
2. To give children a chance to relax and renew their energies by means of exercises and activities designed toward this end
3. To provide a wide variety of activities in which children can be involved
4. To provide opportunities for children to make choices about activities, practice being responsible, and use problem solving skills
5. To provide appropriate physical activities to channel children’s energies and strengthen their bodies
6. To introduce children to experiences in arts, crafts, music, drama, and nature and help them develop their own creativity
7. To enhance the child’s feeling of self-esteem
8. To facilitate the development of each child’s social skills and encourage treating everyone with kindness and respect
9. To provide opportunities for children to develop relationships with adults and other children