South Connection Oakwood's Enrichment Program
Provides supervised activities for K-6 students throughout the school year and during the summer.
Contact us at South Connection:
219 W. Dorothy Lane
Dayton, Ohio 45429
Contact hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tax ID# 31-6000910
Please make sure to read this important information about signing up for the South Connection program. The application process for Summer 2024 and Fall 2024-2025 will be done on the same Google Form this year. We will be using a time stamped online link. The link form requires only first and last name of the student, a parent’s/guardian’s email, and a parent’s/guardian’s phone number before submitting. Once this step is completed, a box will pop up with a link for another form to fill out with more details regarding Summer/Fall program, days, and times you are requesting and other pertinent information needed to complete registration for both Summer 2024 and Fall 2024-2025. Please be proactive by familiarizing yourself with the location of the link before it goes active, since the programs have historically filled within the first minute.
The Summer 2024 and Fall 2024-2025 Application process will be done on the same link this year.
The Link will become active Monday, March 4, 2024, at 8:00 P.M
Fall Application Details
Everyone will have access to the Google Form at the same time but current fall students will fill the open spots first and followed by siblings. Remaining open spots will be filled by incoming 2024-2025 kindergarteners and anyone new to the program. We will take a minimum of 20 kindergarteners. If any other spots remain open, we will email you with information on how to complete the registration process. Each entry will be time stamped and programs will be filled by using the data collected. After programs are full, remaining application names will be placed on a waitlist. New names may be added to this list by using the link until March 2025. At that time, the list will be reset and the process will begin again. If a family wishes to enroll more than one student, a form must be submitted for each child. However, the time stamp for the first submission will be used for the entire family. As a reminder, the Summer 2024 and Fall 2024-2025 Application process will be done on the same link this year.
Summer Application Details
Everyone will have access to the Google Form at the same time but current students will fill the open spots first, followed by siblings and past South Connection Summer 2023 students. Remaining open spots will be filled by anyone new to the program. Students must finish kindergarten before becoming eligible to attend the summer program. Each entry will be time stamped and programs will be filled by using the data collected. If a family wishes to enroll more than one student, a form must be submitted for each child. However, the time stamp for the first submission will be used for the entire family. As a reminder, the Summer 2024 and Fall 2024-2025 Application process will be done on the same link this year.
Current family applications must be time stamped before Friday, March 8, 2024, at 8:00 P.M. to be assured a registration packet.
All respondents should look for an email regarding their application’s status by Tuesday, March 12, 2024. You will receive an email with detailed instructions on how to complete registration or inform you that you are on the waitlist.
Mrs. Katie Jolliff-Smith, Program Manager
Mrs. Carolyn Wiedeman, Team Leader
Mrs. Mary Lanthorn
Ms. Ali Bowers
Mrs. Jessie Cervantes-Babin
Ms. Kiandra Coon
Mrs. Lindsey Cota
Mr. Nolan Frisk
Ms. Lily Knorr
Ms. Rachel Martin
Ms. Clara Minardi
Ms. Tori Minda
Ms. Sophie Stephens
Ms. Zoe Sulfridge
Mrs. Jayne Whitaker
- Oakwood Schools closed ----------------- South Connection closed
- Oakwood Schools on a 1-hour delay --------- South Connection opens at 8 a.m.
- Oakwood Schools on a 2-hour delay --------- South Connection opens at 9 a.m.
South Connection believes:
- That each child is unique
- That elementary school-age children should have a healthy and safe after-school experience
- That a structured, enriched environment enhances a child’s emotional and developmental growth
- That parent-school-community cooperation is essential for healthy child development
- That children need opportunities to explore and learn in a variety of settings
- That a child’s sense of security is enhanced by adult attention and supervision
- That a child’s self-esteem develops through positive experiences with adults and other children
- That each child needs age appropriate opportunities to develop problem solving and decision-making skills
- That children learn in varied ways from many life experiences and that exposure to a wide age range of people, multi-generational, is actually beneficial
Goals and Objectives
- To provide a safe, nurturing environment for elementary-age children
- To give children a chance to relax and renew their energies by means of exercises and activities designed toward this end
- To provide a wide variety of activities in which children can be involved
- To provide opportunities for children to make choices about activities, practice being responsible, and use problem solving skills
- To provide appropriate physical activities to channel children’s energies and strengthen their bodies
- To introduce children to experiences in arts, crafts, music, drama, and nature and help them develop their own creativity
- To enhance the child’s feeling of self-esteem
- To facilitate the development of each child’s social skills and encourage treating everyone with kindness and respect
- To provide opportunities for children to develop relationships with adults and other children