2020 - 2021 Procedures
Parents are responsible for informing South Connection directly any day their child will not be at South Connection. The school district does not inform South Connection when children are absent or leave early.
Please call South Connection (937) 643-9314, no later than 2:00 p.m. or leave a message on our answering machine 24/7. If you email, email@example.com be sure your message is clear. If it is not answered, follow it up with a phone call.
- Please understand last minute changes often result in confusion. There is not always enough time to notify everyone who needs to be aware of this information. If you cannot contact South Connection earlier than 2:00 p.m., please let us know any changes as soon as possible so your child will be accounted for at school dismissal time. If you are unable to contact us prior to picking up your child at Harman or Smith, please inform the South Connection teacher at the school before you take them.
- Please check your phones around 3:15 p.m., in case we need to clarify your child’s dismissal plans.
All Harman and Smith students should exit the school no later than 3:15 p.m. They are not allowed to participate in afterschool activities.
Harman students are asked to exit the 6th grade doors and meet the South Connection teacher at the top of the stairs that lead down to the playground. After all students have arrived and checked in with the South Connection teacher, they will be led down to the bus as a group.
Smith students are asked to exit out the doors by the office and will be checked in by the South Connection teacher at the bus, which is parked in front of the school.
We also request that you reinforce the following information with your child, since younger students sometimes get confused.
1. All students must report directly after school to the South Connection teacher so buses can stay on schedule. The buses need to be on time to Lange to transport kindergarten students to Harman and Smith.
2. Be sure your children’s teachers know they cannot stay after school if they need to ride the bus.
3. If a student misses the bus or has any other difficulties, they must report to the school office so an Oakwood Staff Member can help them. If children decide to walk home or leave with neighbors, it is much more difficult to locate them.
4. Children need to practice being responsible for their own book bags, Chromebooks, water bottles, face coverings, etc. Please help us reinforce they should always look back to be sure they have not left behind anything.
Morning South Connection
Anyone signed up for our morning program, has the opportunity to arrive at 6:30 a.m. Parents will bring children to the back South Connection door (#5) at Lange where the daily health screen will take place. If you do not see a South Connection staff member, ring the doorbell. Be sure to observe 6-foot distancing by standing on one of the marks along the windows. Parents must wear a face covering and will not enter the building. Children must also wear a face covering and bring a filled water bottle each day. Each child’s temperature will be taken with an Infrared Thermometer and will not be allowed in if it reads 100.0*F or higher. Oakwood School’s policy for the child and any siblings will be followed. Payments and attendance issues can be attended to at drop off. Harman and Smith students will load the bus at 7:55 a.m., so they can be at school on time for classes to begin at 8:15 a.m. Students will be spread out, in assigned seats, and required to wear face coverings while riding the bus. It is not unusual for us to experience delays the first few days of school since there are many new routes and drivers. Oakwood and Kettering work together to solve these issues as soon as possible. If buses cause children to arrive at school late, students must check in at the office. They will never be counted tardy when using school transportation. We will walk kindergarteners to their classrooms at 8:30 a.m.
PM South Connection
South Connection staff will coordinate pick-up at the back double doors of Lange (#6). Drivers should never cross through the orange cones since children may be outside on the playground. Cars may park behind the cones or in the marked parking spaces. Please socially distance from others as you approach the building. While waiting for your child, be sure to observe 6-foot distancing by standing on one of the blue marks beside the porch. Parents must wear a face covering and will not enter the building, but should use the doorbell to get our attention. A South Connection staff member will bring your child to you at the door. Due to Lange’s congested parking lot, children can be picked up no earlier than 3:45 p.m. The 6:00 p.m. closing time will be strictly enforced. The $1 per minute late penalty fee will be assessed for late pick-ups.
- If Oakwood Schools is on off-site learning or is closed, South Connection is closed, except for school breaks or PD days.
- Charges for AM South Connection are $40 a week per child.
- Charges for PM South Connection are $80 a week per child.
- Payment is required by Friday of each week. Receipts will be sent home in children’s school folders.
- We accept checks or cash. Checks should be made out to South Connection and cash must be in a sealed envelope with the child’s name and amount written on it.
- If Oakwood Schools go back to full days, South Connection students need to stay on the same South Connection schedule they were on during half-day school.
- We will not be able to offer vacation weeks. When school is not in session (ie. full PD days or snow days) and a child does not attend South Connection, no payment is due for that day. We cannot accept doctor excuses. Anyone who has been mandated to quarantine by the health department will not be charged for the days missed due to COVID-19.
All of the following could result in dismissal from the summer program:
- Parents leave before child is checked in.
- Parents fail to pick up sick children in a timely manner.
- Parents pick up children past 6:00 p.m.
- Parents or children fail to follow daily procedures and disrupt the program.
- Or any other action that goes against COVID-19 safety practices.
Over time, as new information becomes available, some restrictions may be added or relaxed. Thank you for understanding this is a challenging venture for everyone involved. Let’s all work together to make it as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Many of our policies and procedures have changed due to COVID-19. If you have questions about the changes or have any additional questions, please contact Christy Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org