Main Menu

Explore More


Oakwood Schools

Free and Reduced Lunch Program

Summer Lunch 2021

Frequently Asked Questions About Free and Reduced-Price School Meals  

Dear Parent/Guardian:

Children need healthy meals to learn.  Oakwood Schools offer healthy meals each school day. Elementary  lunch costs $ 3.00.  Your student may qualify for free meals or for reduced-price meals. Reduced price is $ .40  for lunch.  Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.

1.  Who can receive free or reduced-price meals?
All children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Ohio Works First (OWF); foster children who are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court; children participating in their school’s Head Start program; and children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway or migrant are eligible for free meals. Also, your children may receive free or reduced-price meals if your household’s income is within the federal income eligibility guidelines limits.


Household size




































Each additional person:

















2.  How do I know if my children qualify as homeless, migrant or runaway?
If members of your household lack a permanent address; are staying together in a shelter, hotel or other temporary housing arrangement; relocate on a seasonal basis or; children live with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household then the children may qualify as homeless, migrant or runaway. If you have not been told your children will receive free meals, please contact Todd Scott, Operations Manager at or  call 937-297-5332 to see if they qualify.

3.  Do I need to fill out an application for each child? 
No. Use one free and reduced-price school meal application for all students in your household. We cannot approve incomplete applications. Please submit all required information. Return the completed application to Todd Scott, Operations Manager at 20 Rubicon Rd., Oakwood, Ohio 45409 or call 937-297-5332.

4.  Should I complete an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved already for free meals?
No, but please read the letter carefully and follow the instructions. If any students in your household were missing from the eligibility notification, contact Todd Scott, Operations Manager at 20 Rubicon Rd., Oakwood, Ohio 45409 or call 937-297-5332  immediately.

5.  Can I apply online?
Yes. If possible, you are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application. The online application requirements are the same and will request the same information as the paper application. Visit  to begin or to learn more about the online application process. Contact Todd Scott, Operations Manager at 20 Rubicon Rd., Oakwood, Ohio 45409 or call 937-297-5332 with any questions about the online application.

6.  My student’s application was approved last year. Do I need to complete another application?
Yes. Your student’s application is valid for that school year and for the start of this school year. You are required to submit a new application unless the school notified you your student is eligible for the new school year. 

7.  I receive Women, Infants and Children (WIC) benefits. Can my child(ren) get free meals?  Students in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please submit a completed application.

8.  Will the information I give be checked?
Yes, we also may ask you to send written proof.

9.  If I do not qualify now, may I apply later?
Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, students with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced-price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

10.  What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?
You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to the following contact person: Dr. Kyle Ramey, Superintendent, 20 Rubicon rd., Oakwood, Ohio 45409 or call 937-297-5332.

11.  May I apply if someone else in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
Yes. You or your student(s) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced-price meals. 

12.  What if my income is not always the same?
List the amount you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, submit the report with the routine amount of $1,000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

13.  What if some household members have no income to report?
Household members may not receive some types of income that are asked for you to report on the application or may not receive income at all. When this happens, please write a 0 in the corresponding field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those also will be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank.

14.  We are in the military. Do we report our income differently? 
Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, it also must be included as income. However, if your housing is step of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment also is excluded from income.

15.  What if there is not enough space on the application for my family?
List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper and attach it to your application. Contact Todd Scott, Operations Manager at 20 Rubicon Rd., Oakwood, Ohio 45409 or call 937-297-5332  to receive a second application.

16.  Why am I being asked to give my consent for an instructional fee waiver?
Ohio public schools are required to waive the school instructional fees for children who quality for free meal benefits. School food service personnel must have parent consent to share the student meal application if your child(ren) quality for a fee waiver. If you agree to allow your child(ren)’s meal application to be shared with school officials to see if they qualify for a fee waiver then select yes in step 5. If you do not wish for that information to be shared, then select no in step 5. Answering no to this question will mean your student will not be considered for a fee waiver. Answering this question either way will not change your child(ren)’s free or reduced-price meal eligibility. 

17.  Does my student get instructional fees waived if they are receiving free or reduced lunch?  
If a PreK-6th grade student qualifies for a free or reduced lunch, their student fees are waived.  If a 7th - 12 grade student qualifies for REDUCED lunch, the student is still responsible to pay fees.  If a family needs to have fees waived, families can complete the process outlined in our policy 6152.02, found in our Board policies.  The family  may write a letter requesting a waiver of fees.  

18.  My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for Ohio SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 877-852-0010.

If you have other questions or need help, call 937-297-5332.

Si necesita ayuda, por favor llame al teléfono:937-297-5332].
Si vous voudriez d’aide, contactez-nous au numéro: 937-297-5332.

Todd Scott, Operations Manager